How can you appeal to both active and passive candidates? – Theo James Recruitment

How can you appeal to both active and passive candidates?

In the world of recruiting, the broad talent pool has been split into two types of candidates, passive and active. The way in which you approach or attract these two types are very different and it’s important that your company is doing enough to reach both because one isn’t necessarily better than the other.

Active candidates

Active candidates are those in which are proactively looking for a new role, they are the ones who are scanning job boards, going to job fairs and sending companies their CV to be considered for future roles. As you may have guessed, active candidates are going to be easier to communicate with, but there are still some things you need to bear in mind to ensure that you’re visible to them as a company.

How to attract them

One of the best ways to reach a broad range of active candidates is by keeping your social media platforms active. Make sure your employer brand appears on the right platforms and you shout about all of your achievements, because it’s these kinds of visible qualities that will really attract the attention of an active candidate.

Another element that companies can use to their advantage is by expressing their opinion to different media outlets. Use public relations to get your company’s voice into the public domain via trade and national press. If picked up, it not only increases a wider sense of visibility for your company because it also places you as an expert in your field – something which will be picked up by your more active candidates.

Passive candidates

Passive candidates are those who aren’t always in a place where they are looking for a new job. If this is the case, why reach out to them? Well, passive candidates still hold a great value to your businesses, but they also make up for around 70% of the global workforce and if you rule them out too early, you’ll only be reaching the other 30% of candidates – and that’s a big chunk to leave out. So, if they’re content, how can you reach them?

How to attract them

You must work to combine all of your social media platforms and regular content. The passive candidate requires a certain amount of analysing top talent and your company working to be in their view rather than them working to be in yours. You need to know your target audience and make sure your company is can offer more than companies similar to you. To hit your bullseye, you will need to play the long-game.

This means, subtly placing your company in the mind of your candidates. Anything from placing ads on other websites to pushing easy to view visuals on social media that will catch the attention of a feed scroller. This could also mean looking at your competitors and finding their top talent to connect with them via a social media platform like LinkedIn.

If the passive candidate then reacts to any posts or contact made, it will most likely be because you’ve got your foot in the door, but you’re not quite done yet. You’ll then need to push for more of this conversation around a topic that obviously engages them, once they are heavily interacting with the content, you can take a chance a reel them in.

To attract both active and passive candidates your hiring strategy will need to include all of these elements. The main thing about attracting any kind of candidates is about having presence, once you have that and do it well by pushing your brand’s message, engagement of all types will soon follow, and you’ll find the ideal person to complete your team.

Having trouble finding your ideal candidate for your manufacturing or engineering company? We can help with that! Contact our experts at Theo James Recruitment.

How can you appeal to both active and passive candidates?

Other Posts

  • A taste of food manufacturing innovation in 2020
    A taste of food manufacturing innovation in 2020

    9th December 2019

    Read More
  • How are car manufacturers tackling road safety?
    How are car manufacturers tackling road safety?

    27th November 2019

    Read More
  • Our thoughts on the four-day working week
    Our thoughts on the four-day working week

    20th November 2019

    Read More